5/7/09

Fashion Victims Ep. 1.30

Derrick sat in the living room of Mia's apartment. He had never felt so uncomfortable in his life. Not that he was scared of seeing Mia. He wanted to see her. No, he was scared that any minute Gio would walk through the front door, and then throw him out a window.

His reputation, as well earned as it was, was not going to help him win over Gio's favor.

Mia entered, sitting on the couch across from him. She had a blue bandana around her head, hiding her bald head. Her normally olive skin was now pale, and she had dark circles under her eyes. Still, even as she was right there, she seemed so beautiful to him. She was still the Mia he remembered. At least her spirit was still the same.

"I don't know why you're here." Mia set her coffee mug on the table that seperated them.

"I just wanted to talk to you. I couldn't really do that before." He leaned forward, but he held back the urge to take her hand. Not to much. He couldn't take it to far.

"There's nothing to talk about." She took a sip of her coffee.

He sighed. There was so much to talk about. He wanted to just start going through the list of possible topics. Why would she just leave him like that? Why did she not tell him that she was sick? Why did she just shut him out?

He couldn't do it though. He couldn't throw all that at her. Not like this. Not like she was now.

"So, why are you back home?" He looked away as he spoke. "I thought the doctors wanted to observe you."

"They did and they sent me home." Her voice was flat. "I don't know if that's good or not, but..."

He couldn't take it.

"How can you be so casual about this?" He stood up. "How can you be so... calm?"

"I'm already doing everything I can." She took another sip. "Now it's up to chance, or God, or fate, or whatever."

"I can't accept that." He was holding back the tears as he spoke.

"I can, and I'm the only one who matters." She set her coffee cup down and looked him dead in the eyes. "This isn't your problem. Now, I need to get my rest. Could you please go?"

She stood up, walking up to the front door.

"Mia," He turned, the tears spilling out. "Mia, please..."

She opened the door.

"I love you Mia." The worlds tumbled out of his mouth so quickly.

A shocked Annabelle stood in the hallway, looking at him, her eyes wide.

"Derrick..." She spoke softly.

"What are you doing here?" He couldn't control the amount of spite in his voice. How could she invade his moment with Mia? Was she stalking him?

"She's my neighbor." Mia glared at him. "Now get the hell out."

Derrick stepped into the hallway, and didn't even get a chance to turn around and say goodbye. The door slammed loudly.

He was left standing there, a jabbering, close to tears Annabelle watching him.

"I'm sorry." She looked away, shuffling off quickly towards her apartment.

"Annabelle... wait..." He tried to call out to her. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." She didn't even look back when she spoke. She just closed her apartment door, leaving Derrick alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment