7/27/09

Spirit Lake Ep. 1.16

Roy stepped into the hallway, and leaned against the thick plastic railing that lined the walls.

Paul had fallen back asleep, and Roy needed a break.

He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples. He was so tired, and he would have killed to be back in his bed, but he just couldn’t bring himself to leave Paul.

"How’s he doing"

Roy opened his eyes to see Dr. Walker looking at him, arms crossed, his face much softer, kinder than it was before.

"He’s better. He woke up. We talked." Roy couldn’t meet the doctor’s gaze.

"Good." Dr. Walker stepped into the doorway that lead into Peter’s room. "You being here helped."

Roy looked at Dr. Walker, William, and a part of him couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

"I’m sorry about how I acted before." William looked at him, the smile fading. "I wanted you to know that if I had my way you would have been there with Chester. I did try."

Roy just nodded. He was to tired to speak, and he wasn’t sure if hugging the doctor was the right thing to do at the moment.

William returned the nod, and walked into Paul’s room.

As Roy stood there, he could see one of the nurses watching them, a scowl on her face. Her eyes seemed to be boring a hole right into Roy’s skull.

She was an older woman, round, with a face that had probably seen better days, but not many. Even though Roy was looking at her, she never looked away. Instead she started towards him, walking slowly, her body rigged.

Roy could feel fear prickling up his spine. There was something about her that told him she wasn’t just homophobic. The look she was giving him was something else entirely. He couldn’t pin point it, but he knew he wasn’t safe.

He ducked into Paul’s room quickly, closing the door before the nurse could reach him.

William stopped examining Paul and looked up at him. "Are you okay?"

Paul sat up, and Roy could see him wince in pain as he moved. "You’re all white. What is it?"

Roy didn’t speak. He didn’t really know. All he knew was that whatever that nurse wanted, it wasn’t good. He walked over, grabbing his jacket off of the chair next to Paul’s bed and threw it on. He suddenly felt cold.

William walked over to him, gently placing his hand on Roy’s forehead.

"You should go home. You might be getting sick."

The door creaked open slowly, and the nurse from before stepped inside, her face all smiles now, but when she glanced at Roy he could feel that same intensity from before.

He wrapped his arms around his chest, and suddenly felt the bump of the diary. He still had it with him.

"Doctor, it’s time for Mr. White’s sponge bath." She glanced at both men. "A little privacy please."

"Roy can stay. It’s nothing he hasn’t seen before." Paul laughed, but it was quickly replaced by a grimace.

"Roy, you should go home. I’m serious. You don’t look good." William placed his hand on Roy’s shoulder. "You need to get some rest. Sleeping in an uncomfortable chair for a few hours doesn’t count."

"No," Roy looked at Paul, then to the nurse, his heart racing. "It’s okay. I’ll stay."

There was no way in hell Roy was going to leave Paul alone with that woman.

"Alright, but don’t push yourself to hard, or you’ll end up in here with him." William smiled and headed towards the door.

Roy went after him. When they were both in the hall he glanced around, making sure no one else was listening, especially the nurse.

"William, this is going to sound crazy, and maybe it’s just because I’m tired and paranoid, but..." Roy paused, not really believing what he was about to say. "I don’t want to leave Paul alone with that woman."

Roy glanced into the room, and he could swear that the nurse was watching him.

William looked at him, confused. Roy had to think of a good reason, and fast.

"I... I heard her talking. She said some really nasty things about Paul, and me... you know. I just, I don’t feel safe leaving him alone with her. I’m sorry."

"Do you want me to talk with her?" William glanced in the room, and Roy was sure he caught her looking out at them.

"No! I don’t want to cause any more problems than I already have. I’m just worried."

William nodded. "I’ll take care of it. On one condition."

"What?"

"Go home and get some sleep."

"You promise you’ll keep her away from Paul? He’s in bad shape, and I don’t want her getting him upset." Roy was surprised that he could lie so easily.

"I promise." William patted Roy on the shoulder. "When she leaves I want you to go home, get some sleep, take a shower. I’ll watch out for Paul."

When they had finished talking Roy walked back into Paul’s room, watching the nurse the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment